This configuration can be used to direct email from a subset of users out via Paubox, rather than directing all email traffic from your organization out via Paubox. This is done in the Office 365 Exchange Admin Center by creating a distribution list, outbound connector, and transport rule.
Note: The complete setup instructions for Paubox Encrypted Email for Office 365 are here. The configuration below can be used in place of Part II: Microsoft Office 365 - Create a Connector.
A Paubox subscription or trial subscription is required (don't have one? sign up here!)
Questions? Stuck? We’re here for you! firstname.lastname@example.org
Part I: Create a Group
- Log in to the Office 365 Exchange Admin Center using admin-level credentials (https://outlook.office.com/ecp)
- In the navigation pane on the left, click dashboard. Then click groups (under recipients).
- Click the dropdown arrow that is just to the right of the "+ New Office 365 group" button and select Distribution list.
- On the resulting pop-up window, enter the following:
- Display name: routetopaubox
- Alias: routetopaubox
- Email address: routetopaubox (leave the domain name field unchanged)
- Skip the "Notes" field and scroll down
- Under Owners, click the + button
- Highlight the users who should manage this group, click add ->, then click OK.
- Under Members, click the + button
- Highlight the users who will be sending email securely via Paubox, click add ->, then click OK.
- Below, select these 2 "closed" options by clicking the corresponding radio buttons:
- Closed: Members can be added only by the group owners. All requests to join will be rejected automatically.
- Closed: Members can be removed only by the group owners. All requests to leave will be rejected automatically.
- Click Save.
Part II: Create a Connector
- in to the Office 365 Exchange Admin Center using admin-level credentials (https://outlook.office.com/ecp)
- In the navigation pane on the left, click mail flow. Then click connectors.
- Click +
- On the pop-up window that follows, select From: Office 365 and To: Partner organization. Then click Next
- Under *Name:, enter Paubox. Make sure the checkbox labeled Turn it on is checked, then click Next
- On the next screen, under When do you want to use this connector?, select Only when I have a transport rule set up that redirects messages to this connector, then click Next
- Choose Route email through these smart hosts then click +
- In the add smart host box, enter outbound.paubox.com then click Save
- Click Next
- On the next screen, make sure Always use Transport Layer Security (TLS) to secure the connection (recommended) and Any digital certificate, including self-signed certificates are selected. Click Next.
- Click Next again
- On the next screen, click the + and enter a test email address as the validator email address: email@example.com
... and then click Next.
- Click Validate
- After the test is successful, click Close
- Next click Save
- The Paubox connector for Office 365 is now live.
Part III: Create a New Rule
- In the navigation pane on the left, click mail flow. Then click rules
- Click the + and select Create a new rule…
- On the pop-up window that follows, in the Name field enter Route to Paubox.
- Under the Apply this rule if… drop-down box, select The Sender is a member of…
- On the pop-up window that follows, select routetopaubox and click OK
- Back on the new rule screen, at the bottom click More options…
- On the next screen, under the Do the following…. drop-down box, hover over Redirect the message to… then click the following connector
- Make sure the Connector: drop-down box is set to Paubox. Then click OK
- Under except if... Click the add exception button
- From dropdown menu, select The recipient... and then is external/internal
- On the pop-up window that follows, under select recipient location, make sure Inside the organization is selected. Then click OK.
- Click Save.
- Confirm that the box next to the new rule in the ON column is checked.
Congratulations! You have successfully used the Office 365 Exchange Admin Panel to create a list of select users within your organization that will use Paubox encrypted email as their smart host gateway for outbound, HIPAA compliant email.