A Paubox subscription or trial subscription is required (don't have one? sign up here!)
Before sending email via the REST API, you must first configure your account following these steps:
- Add a sending domain to your Paubox account
- Verify domain ownership
- Generate an API key
- Set up DKIM
- Add a logo for secure messages
Note that the Paubox Email API is built for developers to programmatically send email; please direct any code questions or issues to your organization's development team.
Add a sending domain to your Paubox account
1) Log in to the Paubox dashboard: https://app.paubox.com/users/sign_in
2) Navigate to Paubox Email API > Settings in the left navigation menu
3) Click Add Domain (at the top right) to add a sending domain
4) Enter the domain name, and click the Add sender domain button
Note: You’ll need to complete this step for any sub-domains added.
Verify domain ownership
Update your domain's TXT/SPF record
1) Under Paubox Email API > Settings, click on the sending domain that you’ve created (verification will be noted as Pending)
2) Log in to your domain host account and locate where the DNS records for your domain are hosted
3) Click on the Control Panel (may also be called DNS Zone Editor, or just DNS)
4) If we’re able to determine your domain host, find the TXT record listed under Current Value and replace that record with the Required Value
5) If we’re unable to determine your domain host, look for a record of type TXT that begins with “v=spf1”, edit the record and insert "include:_spf.paubox.com" just before the -all; then click save.
6) If you do not see a record of type TXT that starts with v=spf1, create a new one using the following values:
- If you use Google Workspace
- v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com include:_spf.paubox.com -all
- If you use M365
- v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com include:_spf.paubox.com -all
7) The status of the domain in the Email API Settings will change to Verified when the record has propagated
Generate an API Key
Follow these steps after a domain shows as "Verified"
1) In the Paubox Email API section of the left navigation, click on Settings
2) Next to the sending domain, click on the action menu to View API Settings
3) Click on the Add API Key button on the top left
4) Enter a unique name for the API key and click on Add API Key (make sure you copy and store the API key safely as it’s only displayed once)
5) At the bottom of the screen click New API Key and record the key (you will not be able to retrieve the key later)
You will need the Endpoint Username and API Key for the sending domain from your Paubox dashboard.
Set up DKIM
Optimize the delivery of your emails by setting up DKIM
1) Go to the Paubox admin panel
2) On the left-hand navigation, click on Overview
3) In the DKIM Configuration row, click Open Settings
4) Select your domain then follow the instructions listed on the page (note, you will need access to your domain host in order to complete the setup)
Note: In order to set up DKIM for any additional domains or subdomains, you’ll need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Add a logo for Secure Notifications
Add your logo to customize the branding of your secure message center. If a recipient’s email service is not set up to handle encryption, we'll send them a link to view your message via the secure message center.
1) On the left hand navigation, click on Overview
2) Under Secure Contact Form Settings, click on Choose New Logo
3) Upload your logo file
4) Click Save
You can find SDKs to work with on our GitHub page
Here is a link to the REST API documentation for your reference
You can use Postman to import this collection of examples for testing